Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Networking: How to Extract Yourself from a "Chatterbox"

One of my blog readers wrote asking: How do I extract myself from someone who talks non-stop, with no natural breaking point, without me feeling bad?

Have any of you found yourself in a similar situation? While below I will share how I generally handle it, won't you please also chime in and share how you do it. Thanks.

As for me, interjecting, I simply say something like, "It's great chatting with you and you're making some great points. Unfortunately, I gotta run and take care of something. Can we reconnect and continue our conversation at another time please? Shoot me an email and let's set something up. Cool?"

This usually takes care of it. As for feeling bad about having to cut out, as long as it's handled being respectful of the other person, people really do understand. Therefore, I wouldn't really worry about that.

No comments: